The country seat of the Hall family, Dunglass Mansion, was begun in 1807 to a design by the artist Alexander Nasmyth in close collaboration with Sir James Hall. The architect was Richard Crichton.
Replacing a much earlier castle, the building was on a large scale designed to make the most of its position

close to the edge of a deep ravine. It remained in the Hall family until 1919 and was demolished in 1958. The inset photographs date from about 1900.